Instant Pot Elderberry Syrup
Ok guys, this stuff is magic! I know that some people think it’s hippie-dippy, but I made my first batch when I was 34 weeks pregnant and my husband got really sick with Pneumonia. I didn’t want to get it (obviously), and I had already had some pre-term labor scares, so I was desperate.
I made my first batch, it was amazing, and I took my daily ration faithfully and didn’t catch a thing! Plus, my hubby took it and I swear it’s the only reason he recovered from his severe case of pneumonia so quickly! (As a nurse, I’ve never seen that happen-it always lasts awhile, even in healthy people!) He took his dosage frequently until he was better. More on that later.
Ok here is my personally tweaked recipe:
3 cups Elderberries
6 cups water
6 cinnamon sticks
2 Tbsp whole cloves
Several pieces of fresh ginger root (less if you don’t like strong ginger flavor. Can sub minced ginger, ginger paste, or powder if necessary, but it’s not as good 😆)
1/4 cup Manuka honey (this is purely for the immune benefits. Regular honey can be used if you don’t want the Manuka)
Extra honey for taste
1. Add all ingredients except honey to Instant Pot and stir.
2. Add lid and make sure everything is sealed and locked.
3. Cook on manual setting for 30 minutes, then let steam naturally release (this means don’t flip the valve open when it’s done, just let the pressure come down).
4. Ensure all steam is released by flipping the valve and then open the lid. Strain contents into heat-safe bowl or jar.
5. Check temperature and make sure it is below 140 degrees at least before adding honey. I like the manuka for its health benefits, but I add extra honey for taste, since the manuka is expensive.
6. Mix well, and pour into your container of choice.
*Keep refrigerated. We’ve had ours at least 2-3 months keep fine, but I believe it will keep for approximately 6 months in the fridge.
*We take 1 Tbsp daily to help prevent sickness. If we get sick or feel like we’re coming down with something, we take 1 tsp every 1-3 hours until we’re recovered.
*I am not a doctor, nor is this medical advice. I am simply sharing what we have used with success.
*Be aware that consuming excessive amounts may have a laxative effect. 😬
The bottles I use:
The Instant Pot I currently use:
*This post contains affiliate links, which do not affect the price you pay, but sends me a tiny portion if you make a purchase.